New video from Open VMK

• Compact Mode
  • Detailed Mode
    Look at this video of open[.]vmk: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tNL2FeRMx1k It's like a Habbo retro, but VMK and it works! So it's legit coming back!
    No, this is Open VMK, created by a bunch of young adults.
    And it's probably going to get shut down by Disney once it really opens.
    You don't get to choose if you get hurt in this world, but you do have some say in who hurts you.
    -The Fault in Our Stars
    -_- You don't understand do you? All they are doing is using VMK files that were given to them. It's basically a retro, an absolute complete copy once it's finished being re-done of course. I'm pretty sure Disney won't close it since there are many Habbo retros out there still. There's this one girl that only knows how to do it all, Amy. She re-made a Coke Studios doing the same thing. This is legit and real! It's already basically open, just not a lot of people can play it.
    This is OK, but I'm not one for games created by teens and young adults, which I can easily tell is the case here. If you look at their forums, there is a lot of unprofessional aspects to it, including no dictionary for their chat, and new rooms being added that look awful. In my opinion VMK should just be left as it is, closed but remembered. What was meant to happen was meant to happen.
    Unicat wrote:No, this is ***, created by a bunch of young adults.

The game is done using web technology, so the client side code is semi-viewable. No one would spend the kind of time to make functioning JavaScript just to troll.

As for a cease and desist, judging by the existence of dozens of Club Penguin private servers, some of which have thousands of members and pull away subscriber money from Disney, don't be surprised if this game sticks around for a while. Disney has even less motivation to take this down than they do for those Club Penguin servers. And don't forget the headlines this would draw. "Disney shuts kid's recreation of game they shut down 5 years ago." Yeah, not too pleasant for Disney.
    Thrill wrote:
    Unicat wrote:No, this is ***, created by a bunch of young adults.

The game is done using web technology, so the client side code is semi-viewable. No one would spend the kind of time to make functioning JavaScript just to troll.

As for a cease and desist, judging by the existence of dozens of Club Penguin private servers, some of which have thousands of members and pull away subscriber money from Disney, don't be surprised if this game sticks around for a while. Disney has even less motivation to take this down than they do for those Club Penguin servers. And don't forget the headlines this would draw. "Disney shuts kid's recreation of game they shut down 5 years ago." Yeah, not too pleasant for Disney.

The old client used HTML5, the new client uses Shockwave. The Shockwave client was re-created from original game files. They have everything for the most part from the game, all the items, clothing, etc. It just has to be re-organized and re-programmed to be put in the game. Before the shockwave client, I was like oh Open VMK is gonna fail with using HTML5, but now I know otherwise.
    I can say I been following it on its forums and site sense 2011. If Disney really wanted it shut down, not sure why they haven't by now? Either way, they're trying to make people happy by bringing it back. If Disney really wants to stop it then they'll just be making thousands of people already waiting for it to happen sad and just cause a problem.
    Has anyone else tried this yet? So much nostalgia right now... even the lag reminds me of VMK!
    Went on it today. It was just like VMK!! 
    ~was iceyyxgirl on vmkm~
    Cherios wrote:This is OK, but I'm not one for games created by teens and young adults, which I can easily tell is the case here. If you look at their forums, there is a lot of unprofessional aspects to it, including no dictionary for their chat, and new rooms being added that look awful. In my opinion VMK should just be left as it is, closed but remembered. What was meant to happen was meant to happen.

My Lord, YES. I can't stand being logged onto their forums... too many unprofessional "mods" & "admins" like it's some kind of hipster feast. I don't believe those young adults created the game (I mean look at their profiles). Majority of the VMK players are now ages 16-20. My conclusion is they've got rich parents to pay off the developers and are just in control of the forums because they enjoy the power and colorful names. Half of their profile conversations consist of "Oh my God, yeah, humidity really does kill a girl's hair." 
    Off and on, I've been watching ovmk for the past few years. I've been able to log in briefly this weekend, and although there's not much to do, it's so amazing to be able to see my little avatar walk around the kingdom. However, I'm not impressed with the official forums. I came here looking for other players to share the reboot with :) Hopefully some of you are able to log in, and meet up in game! I'm Kiki on there as well! 
    Well, I'm very sorry to disappoint, but OVMK is officially down. (Just like half of you predicted, I might add.) However, MyVMK is up now, and it looks as good as the original. Just thought you'd like to know. DFTBA.
    kreskyrules wrote:Well, I'm very sorry to disappoint, but OVMK is officially down. (Just like half of you predicted, I might add.) However, MyVMK is up now, and it looks as good as the original. Just thought you'd like to know. DFTBA.

Nice use of an awesome acronym. ;)
    I am the Phineas to your Ferb :P

VMK FOREVER!!!