• Compact Mode
  • Detailed Mode

Walt Disney Animation Studios (WDAS) recently announced that Paperman, a groundbreaking short film combining the best of the computer-generated and hand-drawn animation worlds, will make its theatrical debut in front of Wreck-It Ralph, the hilarious, arcade-game-hopping adventure that hits theaters nationwide on November 2. The short will also play in front of Wreck-It Ralph for most international markets (release dates vary by market). Taking the art of animation in a bold new direction, Paperman is directed by John Kahrs and produced by Kristina Reed.

Using a minimalist black-and-white style, the short follows the story of a lonely young man in mid-century New York City, whose destiny takes an unexpected turn after a chance meeting with a beautiful woman on his morning commute. Convinced the girl of his dreams is gone forever, he gets a second chance when he spots her in a skyscraper window across the avenue from his office. With only his heart, imagination and a stack of papers to get her attention, his efforts are no match for what fate has in store for him.
    John, a veteran animator who joined WDAS in 2007, led an innovative team of 2D and CG artists who used a proprietary program called Meander to create the short. Employing a technique called final line advection, artists were able to add a level of grace and expressiveness never before seen in an animated film

Here are some behind the scene videos with director John Kahrs;

And released stills;

Source:
    staff
    This seems pretty cute :D I wonder if they're going to have the entire short black and white.
    You are your own hero.
    Here's another plot from D23!
    Using a minimalist black-and-white style, the short follows the story of a lonely young man in mid-century New York City, whose destiny takes an unexpected turn after a chance meeting with a beautiful woman on his morning commute. Convinced the girl of his dreams is gone forever, he gets a second chance when he spots her in a skyscraper window across the avenue from his office. With only his heart, imagination and a stack of papers to get her attention, his efforts are no match for what fate has in store for him.

So yeah! It's going to be in all black and white (:
    staff
    This may be shocking to hear coming from me, but I actually think this one will be a pretty good short from Pixar!
    It's going to be a short by Disney o:
    staff
    Aww, nice classic idea for a short.
    It's great that they're combining traditional and CG animation. It'll really keep that traditional style too with it being black and white and set in the mid-century. Look how far animation in general has come and is still going. Really really interesting to learn a little bit about :D
    HaveAMagicalDay wrote:This may be shocking to hear coming from me, but I actually think this one will be a pretty good short from Pixar!

It's being created by Walt Disney Animation, not Pixar.

This seems pretty interesting! ;) I can't wait to see what the animation looks like
    in action.
    Went to see Wreck-It Ralph in theaters, without any real concern for paperman, but from start to finish, Paperman was equal, if not greater of a story, than Wreck-It Ralph!
    staff
    I decided to move this into it's proper place now that we have the forum for it :).

That is all.
    Paperman was definitely the best short of the year! I'm so glad it won the Oscar.
    I love Paperman X)
    Combat Carl Never Gives Up,
    Combat Carl Finds a Way