DisneyMMO....

• Compact Mode
  • Detailed Mode
    Please don't jump me for expressing my opinion on this, but I felt it needed to be said.

I'm not sure about the rest of you, but I'm not a huge fan of DisneyMMO - I never have been. I understand that the only reason VMKMagic closed, and DisneyMMO opened was because of the dying interest in things to talk about - and Xiris and the other staff felt it was necessary to make a forum geared towards Disney's other games. But let's be honest here, who all actually plays the other Disney games? And if you do, do you actually even use DisneyMMO to talk about those games?

Just because VMK closed, it shouldn't have meant that VMKMagic had to go too. I feel like in the past year, DisneyMMO has gone nowhere, and will go nowhere in the future. At least with VMKMagic, it was somewhere we could all rejoin each other every now and again (as often as you'd like!) and actually reminisce about VMK. VMKMagic had all of the old posts, all of our old memories, all of our old friendships we made over those few short years. DisneyMMO is nothing but a new beginning, and to be perfectly honest - it's not a good one.

I have been on here several times in the past year anonymously, and I have yet to see anything "big" happen. Nor have I really seen anybody log on except the few members that have been continually on this entire time.

Honestly, I don't see this site going anywhere. I understand that we don't know exactly what's going on "behind the scenes" with Xiris and the other staff, but no matter what it is, it's not like it's going to make everything better, and "alright". Everything VMKMagic had to offer is gone, and you can't just replace memories with anything - not DisneyMMO.

I noticed that when DisneyMMO opened last year, it's running on free forum software. If money was an issue to keep VMKMagic going, then I would have been more than happy to donate towards keeping it opened. All you had to do was ask your faithful members.
    staff
    First of all, thank you for your continued concerns about VMKMagic and DisneyMMO, it's nice to hear feedback from people, even if at times it's not always on a positive note. That being said, I'd like to take some time going over a few of your points/concerns to help make some things clearer. If by the end of this post you still have questions or concerns, please let us know and we'll be happy to address them :).

One of the first things I want to discuss and hopefully clear up is about VMKMagic's closure. We've known for a long time that DisneyMMO was coming and at some point VMKMagic would no longer be. Since VMK closed, we've been constantly working on DisneyMMMO. Up until VMKMagic's closure, it's been a side project of ours that we worked on whenever we had time. VMKMagic was always the first priority. However, VMKMagic was a fansite for VMK and ever since the game closed VMKMagic has been a community for off-topic members and community discussions. We realize that the discussion of VMK was quite limited, however the discussion of anything Disney related was really quite small compared to the amount of off-topic discussions and members joining who had little to no interest in Disney. We knew that this would happen and thus why we wanted to have a new focus, which is DisneyMMO. Another thing I think anybody would expect to happen to any site who's lost their focus is the drop of activity. From new members to posts/discussions, everything was decreasing slowly over the time after VMK closed. Also, all expenses for maintaining VMKMagic came out of Xiris' own pocket. We did have advertisements of course, and most of the expenses were paid through that. However, with a continually decreasing member base but still a large community (millions of posts/threads and over 70,000 members) the costs coming directly from Xiris were quickly increasing. VMKMagic was a huge site and thus required big servers and those aren't cheap.

Everything said in the above paragraph plaid a role in the decision to close VMKMagic, not one of them being a the main determining factor but rather all of them together. You must realize that this was not an easy choice for Xiris, he created and ran that site for over 6 years of his life. In fact, the choice to close VMKMagic was made very quickly and was not something he, myself, nor any of the other staff knew for long before you guys, maybe only a few days before it was announced. Choices were made and we followed through with them. One of the biggest choices was whether or not to move stuff from VMKMagic over to DisneyMMO, which was the plan for the last couple years and something we did reassured with everyone. That was something that we needed to make quickly and is once that we sincerely apologize to you guys for. We don't regret the decision, but we do apologize for the false reassurance that was given.

There are times in everyone's life where people have to move on and cherish old memories and friendships. Yes, as you said, we could have asked for donations. However, that is something we did not want to do. The site no longer had its focus and it's popularity was decreasing; those are both signs that it is time to move onward and upward. VMK and VMKMagic will always be one of the best memories of my teenage years and I will always remember them. However, life continues and new memories and friendships are made. One way in that happening is through DisneyMMO. DisneyMMO is a new site and new start for us. It is a project of ours, a work in progress if you will. That was one of the biggest reasons of not transferring everything over like originally planned (also financially was another reason, but was not the determining factor). We want DisneyMMO to be a new community and start. We of course welcome everyone from VMKMagic to help us grow and shape it, but we realized that upon VMKMagic's closure many of our members (and staff) would leave us. While this is sad, it is a part of life. DisneyMMO should not be considered a replacement for VMKMagic. We have plans for it and while some things will be similar, there are many things we have planned for it that will make it feel like a new site.

You said you've been watching us throughout the year we've been open and haven't seen any significant changes. I'd like to point out our News forum. In that forum are many status updates on DisneyMMO. In many of those threads you will see a link referenced: http://www.disneymmo.com/eos. EOS is the name of our development skin and which is almost ready for an alpha release. We have been constantly updating everyone on it's progress through our News forum as well as on our Twitter page (http://www.twitter.com/DisneyMMO) and Facebook (http://www.facebook.com/DisneyMMO). As of right now, we are currently remodeling the homepage. The design concept was shared to our chat community and they loved the design. It shouldn't take us too long to finish up the new homepage.

One of the things you mentioned was how we are running a new forum software. That choice had absolutely nothing to do with cost. vBulletin, the software we used before, was a one time price for that version's license. While vBulletin 3.x was quite nice, it was limiting in some respects and was also no longer being supported by the company as their newest version at the time was out. We did not like vBulletin 4 and also vB 3 and 4 have some coding practices and framework of which we personally do not care for. That is why we looked at other choices. We looked at many, many, forum software, from paid ones like Invision Power Boards to free forum software like phpBB, which was the one we eventually chose. We chose phpBB due to it being open source and more importantly the framework was something we liked much more than the other choices we looked at. As you can see in EOS, it looks nothing like our default theme does. That is because we were only interested in the structural framework of the forum software and not the visual aspects behind it. We planned on remolding the appearance, regardless of what software we used (even if we kept vBulletin). However, since we changed from vB to phpBB it required changes in our code as we originally made DisneyMMO for vBulletin. phpBB allows us to do stuff a lot better and quicker and we are quite happy with the change in forum software.

As you search through EOS, you'll see various new things you never saw on VMKMagic. I won't go into details, but that is part of why DisneyMMO is not a replacement for VMKMagic. We plan on having DisneyMMO be a portal for all of the MMORPGs Disney has (past and present). It isn't going to revolve directly around "forums". While that is where alot of activity will be, we have plans for other things as well (such as a blog, store, and other features not yet announced to the public). You're right, it's a complete new beginning, and that's what we want. We are aware that it means finding new members and starting a new community (which means finding new members). However, that is not what we are doing at this time; right now we are in a development stage. We do not plan on attracting new members until we have officially released and are happy with our EOS skin. Once we do, we have various plans on attracting new people to our site and once that begins we will start a new chapter with a new community. Again, we of course welcome everyone who was once part of our VMKMagic community to join us and help build this new community, but we are a new site and have new goals and expectations.

I'm personally excited for DisneyMMO to reach it's Alpha stage, which is coming really soon. Once that happens, I think everyone will see things a little differently. I miss VMKMagic and think of it everyday still, but I know that looking back now, we made the right decision to close VMKMagic and to not transfer things over. We can't dwell on the past and what was but look forward to what is and what will be. Since the first official day of DisneyMMO, we have shared our ideas with everyone here and gathered their feedback and suggestions and put them into consideration. We often times are talking with members in chat about their opinions on certain things regarding EOS/DisneyMMO in general. When somebody has a question, we're sure to answer them. So, if you have any further questions/concerns about DisneyMMO, again, feel free to let us know :).
    :).
    staff
    Fermata, you bring up some good points, however I must re-emphasize again that we are a brand new site, in the terms that yes we once were VMKMagic, but we're not going to be like we once were. We are starting completely new, with the exception of those who wish to follow us on our work. That brings up the second point I want to say again, we are a development site. During this time it's not our focus to try to keep current members or attract new ones. Anyone who is currently on this site should know that until we are done with building DisneyMMO that we are not going to be doing contests like we did for VMKMagic nor are we too worried about it's memberbase's activity at this time. DisneyMMO is a project and everyone here is welcome to help shape and build it, but it's not to be expected to be anything spectacular during the development stages. This was a decision that was made along with the closure of VMKMagic. Yes, we understand that people want contests/events and more activity from everyone. However, that is not our purpose at this time. We want to get DisneyMMO out as soon as we can.

That being said, yes we say "soon" alot, but we also have personal lives and obligations that has and always will come first. Again, DisneyMMO is a project. When we say soon, it really could/should have been "soon". However, college/personal life has a tendency to always get in the way.

So, in conclusion, it isn't our goal to keep the site "alive" at this time. It is here to be a way to gather input, keep people who are interested updated, and a place for those who wish to talk to old friends from VMKMagic.
    Hi I would just like to say thank you to Xiris, HAMD, Rich, Freddy, the other administrators and staff for all of their hard work and efforts (and stuff). You guys are really connected with all of us "little people" (members, that is) which makes this feel like a really tight-knit community. I could keep babbling but then I would start saying things that didn't make sense so I'm just going to end this here.

GOODNIGHT WISCONSIN.
    "I'm the Doctor. Well, they call me the Doctor - I don't know why. I call me the Doctor too - I still don't know why."
    staff
    Thanks, Doctor! Glad to read you enjoy DMMO while we are in development and a small community. VMKM will always be a sentimental part of the members who have been in this community since VMK and I look forward to seeing DMMO share the same success VMKM had. Thank you for your patience and understanding while the Administration, particularly Xiris and HAMD, work on the technical side of development. Absence on the part of any current staff member is the result of "real life" obligations which are always a first priority for anyone who volunteers his/her time here. My school year ends next Thursday and I look forward to being more visibly active on the forums and in the chatroom at that time.
    DisneyMMO Administrator
    I don't see the problem of DisneyMMO the lack of updates or new features. That's not what kept us going on VMKMagic.
    DMMO is so boring because there is no one here. The forums are sooo dead. And that's not anyone's fault.
    People grow up, people have lives. And pretty much everyone who played VMK is moving on now. And the people that currently play MMO's don't play them for the friends or for the memories as we did once before. Nothing is the same these days. And I don't think new members will ever be attracted to this site.
    Chops wrote:I don't see the problem of DisneyMMO the lack of updates or new features. That's not what kept us going on VMKMagic.
    DMMO is so boring because there is no one here. The forums are sooo dead. And that's not anyone's fault.
    People grow up, people have lives. And pretty much everyone who played VMK is moving on now. And the people that currently play MMO's don't play them for the friends or for the memories as we did once before. Nothing is the same these days. And I don't think new members will ever be attracted to this site.

Please be hyperbole, please be hyperbole, please be hyperbole..

Since I'm assuming you mean those words as fact, I'm going to have to disagree (unless you can show some evidence substantiating your claim of course). Almost the only reason people play MMO's is for the community. You can ask almost any MMO player, and they would agree. Those games are impossible to get far in without forming friends and clans (the whole design of a multiplayer game is based around that, obviously). Your claim of people not playing them for friends or memories is downright false. MMO's existed decades before you were born, so it is simply foolish to say that you and your VMK friends were somehow special when compared to the millions and millions of others who play all types of MMOs. VMK had a very small user base as compared to the other MMO giants (e.g. WoW, LotRO, RIFT) so your sample size for this claim is ridiculously small as well.

I can readily assure you that millions of people across the world are still making friends and memories inside other games.

/endrant

On topic of DMMO, I think the main point no one is understanding is that the staff dudes are not trying to increase member activity. As they have said numerous times, they do not want to regrow the community until the actual site is done. There are still tens of thousands of people who play the Disney MMOs, so there is a large audience for this site -- just give it some time once the site is done.

/endrant2

(Quick note: I think many of you are selectively remembering a few threads from VMKMagic and erasing everything else from your memory. There was maybe a couple "bring bak vmk!!" or "new info about vmk closing" threads a week with some more reminiscent ones every few months. Almost all of the rest were utter trash having to do with life "problems" that they could have easily solved by themselves if they just sat back and thought for a while instead of waiting for some epiphany from Valhalla to drop down in front of their computer screen via one of their immature and shallow friends. If I was Xiris I would of been totally heartbroken over what my site had become. He did a good thing putting that dog down.)

/endrant3

So uh, anyways.. I'm still looking forward to what this site will become. I don't play any Disney MMOs (nor any others) but with Disney games comes general Disney discussion, and that's great too :)
    Odyssey wrote:
    Chops wrote:I don't see the problem of DisneyMMO the lack of updates or new features. That's not what kept us going on VMKMagic.

Since I'm assuming you mean those words as fact, I'm going to have to disagree (unless you can show some evidence substantiating your claim of course). Almost the only reason people play MMO's is for the community. You can ask almost any MMO player, and they would agree. Those games are impossible to get far in without forming friends and clans (the whole design of a multiplayer game is based around that, obviously). Your claim of people not playing them for friends or memories is downright false. MMO's existed decades before you were born, so it is simply foolish to say that you and your VMK friends were somehow special when compared to the millions and millions of others who play all types of MMOs. VMK had a very small user base as compared to the other MMO giants (e.g. WoW, LotRO, RIFT) so your sample size for this claim is ridiculously small as well.

I can readily assure you that millions of people across the world are still making friends and memories inside other games.

/endrant

On topic of DMMO, I think the main point no one is understanding is that the staff dudes are not trying to increase member activity. As they have said numerous times, they do not want to regrow the community until the actual site is done. There are still tens of thousands of people who play the Disney MMOs, so there is a large audience for this site -- just give it some time once the site is done.

/endrant2

(Quick note: I think many of you are selectively remembering a few threads from VMKMagic and erasing everything else from your memory. There was maybe a couple "bring bak vmk!!" or "new info about vmk closing" threads a week with some more reminiscent ones every few months. Almost all of the rest were utter trash having to do with life "problems" that they could have easily solved by themselves if they just sat back and thought for a while instead of waiting for some epiphany from Valhalla to drop down in front of their computer screen via one of their immature and shallow friends. If I was Xiris I would of been totally heartbroken over what my site had become. He did a good thing putting that dog down.)

/endrant3

So uh, anyways.. I'm still looking forward to what this site will become. I don't play any Disney MMOs (nor any others) but with Disney games comes general Disney discussion, and that's great too :)

No, VMK wasn't special in the sense that it was about the community or the friendships. But as much as you disagree, now it's NOT on that same level. It is definitely more about people and their obsession of getting coins, premium statuses, or out of game prizes. When I log onto MMO's that I DO play, hardly anyone wants to talk or is friendly anymore. It's not the same.

And for your other rant, that's exactly my point. I do understand that no one is trying to attract members to the site currently. And that you will wait until it's "finished." However, I believe that even once it's "finished", hardly any users will be attracted. Current MMO players don't make friends to talk to on forums.

And VMKMagic was not pathetic. Sure, it's popularity wasn't increasing, but people still got on it. People don't get on DisneyMMO. Even though VMK had closed three years before, I remember the summer of 2011 being incredibly fun on VMKMagic. Not for me personally (because I was a naive loser [I suppose I still am. :| ]). But as a whole community. There were discussions being posted every minute, and people were super friendly.
    We didn't need VMK to survive, we needed the VMK fandom.
    We have the MMO's, but we don't have what we need to survive: the community.

I really miss the VMKMagic community, not the vbulletin features...
    Chops wrote:No, VMK wasn't special in the sense that it was about the community or the friendships. But as much as you disagree, now it's NOT on that same level. It is definitely more about people and their obsession of getting coins, premium statuses, or out of game prizes. When I log onto MMO's that I DO play, hardly anyone wants to talk or is friendly anymore. It's not the same.

And for your other rant, that's exactly my point. I do understand that no one is trying to attract members to the site currently. And that you will wait until it's "finished." However, I believe that even once it's "finished", hardly any users will be attracted. Current MMO players don't make friends to talk to on forums.

And VMKMagic was not pathetic. Sure, it's popularity wasn't increasing, but people still got on it. People don't get on DisneyMMO. Even though VMK had closed three years before, I remember the summer of 2011 being incredibly fun on VMKMagic. Not for me personally (because I was a naive loser [I suppose I still am. :| ]). But as a whole community. There were discussions being posted every minute, and people were super friendly.
    We didn't need VMK to survive, we needed the VMK fandom.
    We have the MMO's, but we don't have what we need to survive: the community.

I really miss the VMKMagic community, not the vbulletin features...

VMK was absolutely about the community. That was the whole point. That's the point of any MMORPG. Do you guys even know what that stands for? Massive Multiplayer Online Roleplaying Game. MULTIPLAYER. Meaning that it takes more than one player to be able to progress through the game. You play together. Together. Not by yourself. It's a massive community.

I agree with Odyssey in the sense that it was time for VMKMagic to go. The site was fantastic, yes. But it had lost its focus. It was a VMK-centered website, and without VMK it just became a place for pre-teens to rant about silly things going on in their lives. These are all things that have been said numerous times, but for some reason you guys aren't getting it. I have no doubt that people will be attracted to this site once it's open to the public. We all joined VMKMagic and it wasn't as near as attractive (no offense :einnocent: ) as DMMO is going to be once it's out of its developmental stages. I truly believe we will regain the community we once had. The only differences will be that they will be totally new members, and the VMK atmosphere will be gone. Give it time. It will be great.
    "I'm the Doctor. Well, they call me the Doctor - I don't know why. I call me the Doctor too - I still don't know why."
    Chops wrote:
    Odyssey wrote:

/endrant

/endrant2

/endrant3

No, VMK wasn't special in the sense that it was about the community or the friendships. But as much as you disagree, now it's NOT on that same level. It is definitely more about people and their obsession of getting coins, premium statuses, or out of game prizes. When I log onto MMO's that I DO play, hardly anyone wants to talk or is friendly anymore. It's not the same.

You're going to need to back that claim up with a lot more than anecdotal evidence. Regardless of mere opinion, there are for a fact relationships still being made in other games. You just can't refute it.
    I apologize for posting in a thread that was last posted in a month ago, but I do have to lay down my two cents here.

I'm a person known for hopping around forums and my activity spikes are either for long intervals or incredibly short bursts, depending on my level of interest and my role pertaining to the community. Previously on VMKM, I would be active nearly every day (assuming my schedule allowed for it), and I would attempt to be active and have an open mind coming into new forums, new MMOs, and toward the idea of VMK closing. This is another one of my (perhaps) short bursts, and I popped in here to check the progress of the site and see what had happened since I had last logged on. I've always been an avid member of VMKM, along with DMMO when it first began. And I intend to continue being an avid member, however..

Since it had and it was all washed away, VMKM served some purpose, but not what it used to. It used to be the home for members of VMK, allowing them to congregate among each other outside of the game. After it had closed, the entire VMK forum had served as a memento. Only after a certain amount of time would it soon amount to dust. The memories are always going to be invaluable, no matter how you look at it. But the chatter lessened and continued to.

Like HAMD said, vBulletin is incredibly pricey and I can't personally imagine sitting there and paying out of my own pocket for a forum that was yes, loved and adored, but was quickly dwindling in activity due to a lost focus. VMKM had a fantastic run, but it was due for a change. Something different. And though VMK closed, there were other Disney MMOs that deserved attention too: POTCO, Toontown, Pixie Hollow, etc., etc.

And that is exactly what DisneyMMO is all about. The site may not look pretty now, and it hasn't in a year and a few months or so. The site may be boring because there's behind-the-scenes development that isn't being seen. There are updates. The administration of DMMO along with their moderators are working hard in order to achieve what they want to with DMMO.

VMKM had an incredible community with people posting actively in the forums, talking to each other, and everything in between. But the foundation it once stood on had disappeared and therefore, without any real support, people left and there was nothing else they could do.

Of course, to people like us who were really connected with VMK, other Disney MMOs may not have much appeal to us. I, personally, play Toontown and that's about it. POTCO and Pixie Hollow, among the others, never appealed to me as a gamer. My heart will always be with VMK as it had been a huge part of my life and introduced me to many friends I still have today, but Disney had bigger and better ideas for their world of MMOs.

The only thing I really have to say in closing is that I keep coming back in hopes that DMMO will be bigger and brighter than it is now. And given the continual work of the staff, I believe that they will achieve it and I believe that they have big hopes for the future. They have given people magic in their hands before, and they have offered people a place to call home for 6+ years. They will do it again, but in a different shape, a different form. Some people may not like change. But those who are willing to stick through until the end are hopefully going to witness something beautiful come out of this construction, this 'dead' site.

I'm surely hoping for it.

Pardon my soapbox moment. Carry on. :ehappy:
    This world is merciless, and it's also very beautiful.