DCP questions?

• Compact Mode
  • Detailed Mode
    staff
    Hey DisneyMMO'ers, Getti here in need of your assistance. I want to set up a Q and A or experience's of the Disney College program for a few different places and thought it might be beneficial to get help from you guys. What I need from you is questions you might have or perhaps an experience or two if you've been through in the program. I, myself, haven't gone through the program but I want to get a little more information before deciding. If you have any question or information please leave a reply below and keep a look out for a DCP Q and A thread coming soon!
    Are there any type of professions (other than working at one of the parks, or for the Disney company) that look for or like when the DCP is an experience on your job application?
    Chops wrote:Are there any type of professions (other than working at one of the parks, or for the Disney company) that look for or like when the DCP is an experience on your job application?

wondering this too.. i check in for my dcp in a couple of weeks and one of the reasons why i applied was to add it to my resume, but i'm wondering who will think it looks good other than disney?
    staff
    StrangeSuperBoy wrote:
    Chops wrote:Are there any type of professions (other than working at one of the parks, or for the Disney company) that look for or like when the DCP is an experience on your job application?

wondering this too.. i check in for my dcp in a couple of weeks and one of the reasons why i applied was to add it to my resume, but i'm wondering who will think it looks good other than disney?

@StrangeSuperBoy Hooray! You decided to go?! You better keep us updated on your experience. Getti, I'm not sure if you're aware, but I did the program Fall 2011 -- if there is anything you want to know (aside from whatever thread/Q&A you're planing to make) feel free to PM me or catch me some time in chat.

@Chops - Your question is actually relevant to me tonight. I work at a medical library and I started working there this past September (I was ironically hired the exact day I checked into my DCP but the year after). Anyway, there was a new employee tonight who told me that I had beat her out for my current position the last time there was an opening and that management told her that I was chosen over her because I had more customer service experience--thanks to Disney :thumbsup:

The DCP in general looks good for multiple. It shows that you can complete a program that you sign up for and the fact that the company is a Fortune 100 company is impressive. At the very least it's a great conversation piece and most if not all potential employers will be interested to hear about your experience. I know my interview for the library revolved a great deal around my experience working with Disney. At the end of the day, it's great to have customer service experience from a company that is known world-wide for excellent service to its guests. It may not guarantee you a dream job back at home, but it'll certainly make you stand out and give you an advantage over others when applying for a customer service jobs, which, for young people, and many adults, is a popular type of job.
    DisneyMMO Administrator
    I am planning on applying for the fall 2013 program, but I need to know what the class requirements are. I am enrolled at my community college with one class, is that all need to be eligible to apply? or do I need to be taking more classes?
    staff
    BizarreGoblin wrote:I am planning on applying for the fall 2013 program, but I need to know what the class requirements are. I am enrolled at my community college with one class, is that all need to be eligible to apply? or do I need to be taking more classes?

Unless requirements have changed recently, you need to be enrolled in at least one course and you may not do the College Program during your first semester of college--only second or later.
    DisneyMMO Administrator
    Barbossa wrote:
    BizarreGoblin wrote:I am planning on applying for the fall 2013 program, but I need to know what the class requirements are. I am enrolled at my community college with one class, is that all need to be eligible to apply? or do I need to be taking more classes?

Unless requirements have changed recently, you need to be enrolled in at least one course and you may not do the College Program during your first semester of college--only second or later.

Thanks.
    Is there a way I can contact someone who would know for sure if one class is enough? I would like an office number to call and speak to someone in person, but I can't seem to fine anything.
    One class is enough (I think it says that somewhere on the website)
    staff
    BizarreGoblin wrote:
    Barbossa wrote:

Thanks.
    Is there a way I can contact someone who would know for sure if one class is enough? I would like an office number to call and speak to someone in person, but I can't seem to fine anything.

Sorry for the delay in responding to this. The following is from the DCP website:
    To apply, students must be enrolled currently in a college or university and taking classes. Candidates must be at least 18 years old and meet his or her school's requirements for participation. Participation in this program requires unrestricted work authorization.

It's listed on the FAQ page here: http://cp.disneycareers.com/en/faq/stud ... e-program/
    DisneyMMO Administrator
    you only need to be attending college/university at the time of your application. i didn't quote but someone above me said that you're not allowed to participate in the dcp your first semester of school, which is true. you can apply in your first semester for the second one, but you can't participate as a first semester freshman.

as far as classes, you can register for a few different choices while in your program if you want to, but it's not required at wdw, only dl in california. in my case, i registered for corporate analysis and exploring marketing. depending on your college, they may accept credit for taking courses in your program, but others don't. for me, my school doesn't recognize the dcp as anything worthy and said i would have to take a semester off of school to go. no worries since i'm transferring out once i get back anyways, so it's really up to you.
    I don't know if this is relevant to this thread or not, but I get to do the phone interview! ..on Valentine's Day! :ewub: Disney is mai luvr